Located in the Customize Tasks bar is Study Area Data
Selecting Study Area Data opens an Industry Detail report of the Study Area.
Edit an Industry
The Edit Industry Data screen has three main windows. Industry List, Employment, and Output, Value Added
comprises the left-hand column of the screen. It provides a list of all 536 Sectors that can be modeled in IMPLAN. These include Sectors not currently being represented in the Study Area. Click on the desired Sector and the values related to that Sector will appear in the right-hand screens. If the Sector is not currently represented in the Study Area, all values other than the National per Worker values will be set to zero.
The second portion of the screen shows the total number of jobs provided by the industry sector to the Study Area. To change this value, delete the current value and type in the new value. Hit enter or tab to move to the next screen. To view changes in the Industry resulting from just a change in employment, click .
If Employment does not need to be changed, skip to Edit Options.
- If Edit totals is selected, the cursor will toggle through the Total values.
- If Edit per worker is selected, the cursor will toggle through Per Worker values.
Values will be highlighted as the cursor moves through the fields. Once the cursor enters the first active field, or an initial change is made, the settings in Edit Options cannot be changed, until or have been selected.
To change values, type the new value in the field. To leave a value the same and move to next field, hit enter, tab, or use the mouse to highlight the next field. Once editing has begun, the cursor will continue to toggle through either the Totals or Per Worker fields until has been selected. resets the unedited column(s) to match the value relationships entered in the edited column.
is checked as a default. This feature locks the Total Value Added of Industries existing in the Study Area, so that any changes made in the Value Added fields will still sum to the expected Total Value Added. This can lead to negative values in the Other Property Type Income fields, as Other Property Type Income is used to balance the remaining Value Added categories. It is important that this field remains ed. Removing the allows Total Value Added to be updated with the remaining values. This will change the underlying production function of the Industry.
replaces all values entered with known IMPLAN values for that Sector. For Industries that do not exist in the Study Area, this will set all values back to 0.
Before exiting the screen or moving to another Industry, click then . If is not selected and another Industry is chosen from the list, the software will produce the following prompt.
The software returns all altered values back to the known IMPLAN values and advances to the show the values of the newly selected Sector.
Saves the information and advances the screen to the selected Sector.
This screen will be prompted if you select after changes have been made. will close out the Customize Study Area window and return you to the Model Overview, if no changes have been made.
Will prompt then will return you to Customize Study Area Data to then select .
Will close out the Customize Study Area window and return you to Model Overview.
After changes have been made, the model must be rebuilt. Most tasks bar functions will be disabled and the progress bar will display
Creating an Industry
The Customize> Study Area Data screen can also be used to create a previously non-existent Industry in you Study Area. To add an Industry you must know at least the Employment value associated with the new Industry.
Start by selecting the Industry to be added from the . The right-hand side of the screen will appear with only the National Per Worker values showing.
Enter in the value of new employment that is expected to be generated by the incoming Industry.
If additional values are available for entry, determine whether these values represent Totals or per Worker values and make the appropriate selection in Edit Options.* Enter ONLY known valuesas you tab through each portion of the screen; the software will generate unknowns for you based on underlying mathematical relationships.
Click and then and .
*(Edit Options will lock out fields not related to the selected option. Locked values will appear as $0 before the sheet is updated. National values cannot be altered.)
Once you have created a new Industry, you will need to rebuild your Model. The Progress Bar will also indicate this.
This can be done by selecting Options> Construct > Multipliers
Understanding and Working with Value Added Factors
When creating or modifying an industry in the Customize >Study Area Data, it is important to have an understanding of how these fields can be modified, and how they interact.
Any fields left blank or set to zero on an industry being added to the Study Area, will be automatically updated to the appropriate value. However, existing fields can be edited to 0.00 and the worksheet can be re-updated.
Here is a breakdown by field:
- In a new industry, if Employee Compensation is left blank, the value will be updated based on known background calulations.
- For an existing industry, or after the initial update once a new industry has been run, EC can be set to 0.00 and the worksheet can be updated.
- In a new industry, if Proprietor Income is left blank, the value will be updated based on known background calulations.
- For an existing industry, or after the initial update once a new industry has been run, PI can be set to 0.00 and the worksheet can be updated.
- In a new industry, if Other Property Type Income is left blank, the value will be updated based on known background calulations.
- OPTI cannot be set to 0.00 as long as remains checked. This is because OPTI is the balancing element for the remaining Value Added factors. Unchecking will cause the underlying relationships of intermediate inputs to Value Added to be changed; therefore, this is not recommended.
- In a new industry, if Indirect Business Tax is left blank, the value will be updated based on known background calulations.
- For an existing industry, or after the initial update once a new industry has been run, IBT can be set to 0.00 and the worksheet can be updated.