IMPLAN has launched an improved option for comparing data across regions, industries and even time! Data Library is a new IMPLAN data product powered by Looker that allows you to produce data queries and reports.
Access includes all of the following Data Library Sections for the all county and state level data throughout the United States for available IMPLAN Data Years (2001 - 2019 and the COVID 2020-Q2, unless otherwise noted below):
Commodity Data include, for each region, Data Year, and Commodity:
Commodity Data details from the Data Team
Core Competency Data include, for each Occupation:
Core Competency can also be viewed by Industry and by region. This section also includes Location Quotients for each Competency.
2018 Core Competency ratios are applied to Data Years 2001 - 2018 in this data set. 2019 Core Competency Data coming soon.
Core Competency Data details from the Data Team
Deflator Data includes Deflators for all Data Years for Dollar Years 1997 - 2060. This Data contains Deflators for:
Deflator Data details from the Data Team
The Demographic data include, for each region and year:
Demographic Data details from the Data Team
The Employment & Wages by NAICS Data include the Census of Employment and Wages (CEW) data from the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS) with added imputed values for non-disclosures. Choose the level of granularity by selecting from NAICS levels two digit through six digit. This data includes, for each NAICS:
Employment & Wages by NAICS Data details from the Data Team
Environmental Data include, for each Industry, the ratio of physical environment unit value per dollar of Output. This information has been applied to Industry Output across all regions, producing the amount of each Environmental indicator for each region, year and Industry. Environment Satellites include:
2018 Environmental ratios are applied to all available IMPLAN Data Years. Environmental Data details from the Data Team
The Industry Data include the following, for each region, year, and Industry:
Industry Data details from the Data Team
Occupation Data include the following for each Occupation Classification:
Regional Occupation data is a reflection of the mix of Industries in the region. 2018 Occupational ratios are applied to Data Years 2001 - 2018 in this data set. 2019 Occupation Data coming soon.
Occupation Data details from the Data Team
The Tax Data include, for each region and year:
This data provides details on regional tax authorities. Tax Data is available for Data Years 2001 - 2019. Tax Data details from the Data Team
IMPLAN’s domestic Trade Flow Data, for each region, and year, include:
Trade Flow Data details from the Data Team
This article will introduce you to the Data Library Help Center, along with the two dropdown menus at the top of the page: Browse and Explore. Within this support site section, find articles explaining the three main ways you’ll interact with data in the Data Library (linked below):
- Explore: where you build and run data queries in Looker by filtering, selecting, and pivoting Dimensions and Measures
- Looks: saved reports; results of a data query
- Dashboards: collection of tiles with an answer to a particular question; answer to related Looks on one page (a collection of data query visualizations)
DATA LIBRARY HELP CENTER
Upon logging into IMPLAN, you will be directed to the Data Library Help Center Welcome Page, which includes the following:
- Welcome to the Data Library
- In Support Materials links back to this section of Zendesk
- Helpful Links
- One for each of the designated Data Library Section pages: From each page, jump to the LookML Dashboard (created by IMPLAN developers) or to the Explore for the given Data Library Section. Each page also provides links to the articles relevant to the prospective Data Library Section here on support.implan.com.
- Looker Support Links
- Note about Login Issues with IMPLAN
- Data Library Office Hours information
- Need more help? Phone support is not available, however you can email firstname.lastname@example.org and expect a response within 3-5 business days.
Navigate to any of the Help Center sections from the left pane.
There are three ways to navigate back to the Help Center in the Data Library.
- Click on the IMPLAN logo in the upper left corner
- Click “Browse” and then choose “Home”
- Click the help menu in the upper right and choose “Looker at IMPLAN”
From the help menu you’ll also see “Docs” and “User Guide”, which will direct you to Looker’s support documentation. We recommend referencing Looker’s Docs and User Guides for Looker application functionality questions.
The Browse dropdown menu allows you to access your saved reports, called Looks, and saved Dashboards. Search through all saved content by clicking the magnifying glass on the toolbar in the upper right corner.
As covered above, the first option in the Browse menu is Home which directs you to the Homepage.
- Overview will direct you to Dashboards and Looks contained in shared folders.
- Recently viewed will direct you to a list of Looks and/or Dashboards you most recently viewed.
- Favorites will direct you to a list of your Favorite Looks and/or Dashboards. Add items to Favorites from another folder by clicking 🤍 next to the Look or Dashboard.
- Popular will direct you to a list of Looks and/or Dashboards accessible to you that are most frequently visited.
- Application & Tools: underdevelopment.
- [Your Username] folder contains the Looks and/or Dashboards saved to your personal folder. Start new Dashboards by clicking “New” from this folder.
- All folders will direct you to a list of folders that you can access such as your folder and shared folders. LookML dashboards is where you can find Dashboards developed by IMPLAN.
Start building queries from scratch by navigating to the section of the Data Library from the Explore dropdown menu.
Written October 20, 2020